Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween! This lunch has gone to the CATS!

Well, Ruthie has been back and forth on some foods, as I mentioned in my last post.  One of those things is chicken salad (chicken mixed with mayo, sometimes a mustard of some sort or other seasonings, and some people even add celery and/or relish, apples, grapes)... we do it pretty simple around here... chicken and mayo, sometimes with relish and/or honey mustard or spicy mustard... I prefer honey mustard, the hubby spicy.

Ruthie was eating it last year as long as there was nothing but chicken and mayo, but she stopped liking it and hasn't been willing to try it since.  Well, last night, after she finished her plain chicken, she came to me, asked if she could see my sandwich, and then took a big bite... she chewed, thoughtfully, and pronounced it delicious.  I asked her if that's what she'd like for her lunch and she jumped up and down and squealed yes.

So... because I'm not sure if her bite contained honey mustard, I made hers with just chicken and mayo, but I made her the requested chicken salad.  I then was left to come up with one more (and hopefully original) Halloween lunch for this year.  Well, when the begging kitties in our family came around for scraps, the answer was done.

I used a coffee mug (one with quite a large opening to use almost the entire sandwich) to make a sealed sandwich (a trick I accidentally discovered would be possible when I made her owl sandwich previously)

I used food safe markers to decorate it like a black cat.


I put a witch finger puppet above it ... which makes her look as if she's riding a giant kitty... lol.  The banana was made into a snake... ironically similar in color to a baby black snake one of our cats caught a few years ago... with the use of food safe marker to make a face on one end.  Witches fingers (green beans) are in the pink (her favorite color, even though green would have been more festive) silicone cup with a spider crawling over them and the little kitty fork pick.  Three tootsie rolls are in a ghost paper mini cupcake liner (the same one used in her lunch yesterday... sometimes they can be reused).


This lunch was packed in our betty crocker box that I scored for 50c at Food Lion when they marked them down for discontinuation.  Water is in her funtainer as there are sure to be more treats at school and so she needs to keep sugar low and protein high.

The kitty made me think of Hello Kitty, so that is what will probably start our November lunches off tomorrow.

No comments: