Tuesday, October 30, 2012

1 Day Until Halloween!

Friday ended up being another "Sleep in and I'll get the kids off to school" offer from my husband day, so I took it and let him.  Yesterday, no school, thanks to Hurricane Sandy blowing through over the weekend.  Today, they start 2hrs late, but they have school.  I threw this together with what we had available.  We'd stocked up before the storm with lots of non-perishables, so it's not the most appealing lunch, but it's still cute and has Halloween touches.

The top container holds some low-fat, low-sodium potato chips, which is why she only gets TWO (rather than 3-4) tootsie rolls for her treat, but she was quite pleased.  She has mandarin oranges with a skull ring and peas (which she will usually eat with her fingers, like grapes, but I have included a kitten fork pick (for some reason she eats them with this... I can't eat peas with a fork, but she can)... she hasn't willingly eaten peas in quite awhile, but she said she will eat them and that she likes them again, so hey, sometimes being low on preferred foods turns out well.  Her sandwiches are pb & strawberry of course, her favorite.  I used the same ghost cutter from when I made her pizza sandwich that looked like Oogie Boogie, but I didn't press as hard so instead of the imprinted features, I gave them round eyes and round mouths to make them look like ghosts.  It worked by using softer bread and pressing the bread flat first, so it didn't require as much effort to cut and I avoided the other face.  Her tootsie rolls are in a little mini-cupcake liner reversed so she can see the ghost pattern.

Her Funtainer is filled with water since the chips, even while low-sodium, taste pretty salty.




No comments: