Thursday, October 25, 2012

6 Days Until Halloween

With only 6 days left until Halloween that means that there will only be 4 more spooky lunches!

Today, I decided to make a batty lunch... so everything was put together with bats in mind.
This lunch was one that surprised me again (as they often do when packed in this box) with how much the Melissa & Doug Bella Butterfly Snack Container (also available as a turtle) really can hold.

In the top sections, she has mandarin oranges and green beans (cocktail fork picks from Dollar Tree are in the bottom section in front of her sandwiches)... an orange bat finger puppet is flying above the oranges and a black bat ring is in the green beans.  In the bottom section she has ANOTHER pack of the halloween pretzels that she got at her school's fall celebration (really have been loving that she got so many) that I opened so that it would fit inside to prevent crushing.  A bat ring is on the halloween pretzels.  Next to the pretzels are two pb & strawberry bat sandwiches, stacked.  In a separate container is her dessert.  Her aunt loves to spoil her and got a big pack of the individually wrapped snack cakes for a dollar, so I decided to let her have one in her lunch for a fun treat.  Having tasted one myself, I must say these are so cute, but you can FEEL the sugar in them when you eat one, so I didn't give her a drink choice and sent water in her funtainer to help dilute all that sugar.



And for anyone wondering how big she is to be eating this little amount (this is on the bigger side for her being there are pretzels and a treat), she is in the 25th percentile for height and 50th for weight... she's 52" tall and weighs about 55lbs.  She wears size 8 in pants/skirts and size 10 in shirts.  She is going to turn 9 in March.  She's healthy and active.  So when packing lunch, we have to remember that every kid is built differently and requires a different amount to fuel their bodies and pack accordingly.  With her brothers, I always worry I'm packing too much, until it all comes back emtpy... with her, I worry I don't pack enough on some days, then days like today I worry I pack too much... but again, it all gets eaten most days and days it doesn't, if she's not hungry when she comes home, I don't worry.  Appetites go up and down on everyone.

No comments: