Wednesday, October 17, 2012

13 Days Until Halloween!

Today's lunch ties the spooky Halloween with other things we see in the fall.  Ruthie has a pb & strawberry sandwich on honey wheat bread (I used a coffee cup to cut a circle, then cut out the top bit with a knife)... yes, my owl is blue... yes, his eyes are green... she loves this... she wanted him to be colorful and look spooky like she might see at nighttime (like she's ever seen an owl then... or anywhere other than the zoo or aquarium).  He's resting on a nest or pile of leaves (depending on who you ask... I said he was flying over a pile of leaves... Ruthie swears he's sitting in his nest)  And a pumpkin is popping out of the bottom of those leaves (henceforth my interpretation) to surprise the owl.  He's hunting candy corn and even though I colored his beak yellow, he also has a candy corn as a nose because... well, it just looks cute.  She also has green beans and mandarin oranges (hey, it's time to go to the grocery store, I know!) in silicone baking cups... with a spider and two skull rings for decoration.

This was the first time I'd tried using a coffee cup... I found out after I'd already cut out my first circle that it's likely I could have made a pocket sandwich simply because it was a thick enough cup that it really squished the edges... but that bottom piece doesn't look as nice, so I wanted to hide it rather than make a third slice.

I added two of our favorite cocktail fork picks from Dollar Tree after I took the picture.


No comments: