Thursday, November 1, 2012



Well, Halloween is over, but the treats continue for awhile.  I said I was probably going to try a Hello Kitty bento, so I decided to do so.  Being as it was Halloween AND the end of the month, groceries are pitiful, so when I decided that I wanted to throw lunch together the night before, I knew it was a good idea, so I could figure something out.

In the main compartment is Hello Kitty (I know, she shouldn't have a mouth... I couldn't remember and instead of looking at one of my other containers, I drew one just in case.  Of course, I doubt my daughter will care, but it bothers me.  To make her, all I did was flatten out two pieces of bread, then I used a big soup cup (which is why you may notice there is some crust on one side... there was also some up top, where I scooped to make the ears) which used so much of the bread that there wasn't enough left to bother giving to the dogs... I gave it to the cats.  Inside, I put ham... now the ham was bigger than the bread, so I quartered it and layered it... 3 pieces was plenty, but you could fit in more or do less if you wanted.  Then, because the lip of the soup cups is so thick, I pressed as much as I could on one side, then flipped the sandwich to do the other... it might also be easier if you cut out one side in advance, but I wanted to ensure a good seal, and this is how I know it to work best with a cup.

I think it's a pretty good, cheap, way to do it if you think your kid might like homemade uncrustables, but you don't want to go buy a sandwich press right away.

Above the sweet hello kitty is a rainbow of sweets for my sweetie... yeppers, she loves skittles, so I put a pack from the trick or treating in there.  Her silicone cups hold sides of peas (with a kitty fork pick to be cute... I will probably pop in a spoon.. she was so busy talking she didn't eat all her peas last time) and the contents of one of MANY single-serve bag of halloween pretzels she and her brother brought home. (they also brought home 7 bags of chips, but those are just enough bigger that she doesn't finish them... and especially not if there is another treat.  So for non-messy fingers and not overloading her lunch, I save the chips for treats on weekends.



Again, I'm going to be picky... my kid tends to be stopped up pretty easily and regularly, so I like to have a fiber-rich diet for her... and what are we missing in this otherwise yummy and healthy lunch?  Yep, FRUIT... however, we do have orange juice, so I think that's what she's going to get in her lunch (watered down, but should still help keep things moving along).



No comments: