Thursday, November 8, 2012

Soup again!

The last time I packed Ruthie soup, I clearly packed too much, as she ate all of it, but ate nothing else in her lunch.  The only soup she really likes is Ramen Noodles, so we make them rarely, but when we do, we use a bouillon cube instead of the msg-filled season packet.

This time, I was careful to use one of our small 9oz coffee mugs and not pack down the noodles at all, so I made only about half of what I did last time... it's easy to forget sometimes that she only eats so much and that soup takes longer to eat, too.

With that last bit in mind, it brings me to her box of things to go with the nice hot soup (always remember to charge your food jar/thermos... it just keeps everything so nice and warm... heat some water to boiling, put it in the jar and put the lid on... you can leave it sit while you get breakfast and other lunch items ready... then heat up your soup, dump the water and replace with your soup (or other heated items you are putting in it) and it will stay nice and warm for lunch)

I put in things that I know she'll eat and I made sure that her protein was easy to eat and not messy. (that was her other complaint... that the chicken was softer and the breading was too messy to bother with at lunch time)


I cut up an apple... it was HUGE, so she had half of it with her french toast for breakfast, and the other half went into this tinkerbell sandwich box.  The silicone baking cups are perfect for holding four thin slices of deli ham (I folded them and rolled them and put two on each of the little picks to make for easy eating) and yummy sweet peas.  I tucked one long tootsie roll in there for a treat.  The other plus to the choice of using this box is that I always use a rubber band to hold the box shut (for those who also need to use them to hold cheap sandwich containers like this one closed, I have found the bands that come on celery to be PERFECT... they are just the right size and hold it really tight), so I tucked her silverware (I put both a spoon and fork in, in case she needs the spoon to help her eat her peas more quickly or wants to use it for the "juice" of her soup) in it to keep it in place.

No comments: