Friday, September 21, 2012

Homemade Ritz-Bits

So when I was growing up, one of my favorite things to eat was Ritz-Bits Peanut Butter Crackers.
Now, as an adult, I know how these really aren't the most nutritious way to eat peanut butter crackers.  Now I still like Ritz crackers with peanut butter, but there is much less sugar and preservatives in them when you make your own.  However, My daughter LOVES bite sized food and has asked me for Ritz Bits several times.  I've told her no and she understood why, but finally, after seeing her dip small crackers in peanut butter, I realized... HEY... I could just make her some at home!

So, we've had the angry birds crackers that I've been putting in her lunches this week and there were plenty left over and I decided to go ahead and use them, but you could use any type of bite sized crackers.


Now according to Nabisco (the Ritz Parent company) a serving of theirs is 12 crackers, but as that is intended as a snack and mine are replacing a peanut butter sandwich, I sent about 18.  Again, this widens the possibilities for kids not only in reducing price for the parent (this was cheaper and if I used all the crackers that came in the box for these, I'd have about 3 boxes worth of pb sandwich bites), but you can use other nut butters, soy butter, or sunflower seed butter if you have a peanut-free class or child with an allergy.  You can get fun shaped crackers to make them cute, you can use homemade crackers, or do rice crackers for a gluten free child.

To round out the meal, she has chunks of peaches and leftover green beans in two of our favorite 4oz round glad containers, each with a cute fork pick for eating them.  Her cracker sandwich bites are packed in the green hello kitty box from her set.  The gorilla bottle standing behind her lunch is filled with cold water.


No comments: